Oil on Canvas, Italian Landscape by William Marlow (British 1740-1813)
Dimensions: 22" x 31" (overall)
Marlow was born in Southwark, London. He spent five years as a pupil of the marine painter Samuel Scott, and also studied at the St. Martin's Lane Academy.
He became a member of the Incorporated Society of Artists, and from 1762 to 1764 contributed to their exhibitions in Spring Gardens. He was employed in painting views of country houses. From 1765 to 1768, on the advice of the Duchess of Northumberland, he travelled in France and Italy. On his return to London he took up residence in Leicester Square, and renewed his contributions to the Society of Artists, of which was made a Fellow in 1771. In 1788 he moved to Twickenham, and began to exhibit at the Royal Academy, where he showed regularly until 1796, and then again, for the last time, in 1807, when he exhibited Twickenham Ferry by Moonlight.
He died in Twickenham on 14 January 1813.